Saturday, July 14, 2007

Utila

There comes a point in life when a person just can't take the constant stress and activities of raising 16 children anymore. That point came for Ashley, Jen, and I around midnight Monday night.
Last Saturday, some of Ashley's friends came and stayed at Casa for two night. These three guys have been driving from Mexico through Latin America. All of their stories of their road trips were amazing and made us all jealous of their experiences. On Monday night, I brought up that I wanted to visit one of the islands that are north of Honduras before I left. The guys told us that the one they visited was really cheap and still nice. So, around midnight we decided that we all needed a break, and the next day we rented a car from the airport, and headed towards La Ceiba, Honduras. La Ceiba is the city that you have to depart from to get to any of the islands north of Honduras. The drive to Ceiba was beautiful. We saw a huge rainbow, beautiful landscapes, and Honduran people in their native environment. It is amazing how much Honduras has to offer and there isn't any tourism. Anyway, we arrived at Ceiba around 9:30 p.m. and checked into a very nice hotel. The next morning, we boarded a boat and headed to the Caribbean island of Utila. The boat ride was amazing- the water was so blue. When landed in Utila, we rented a four wheeler and scooter to ride around island, looking for a hotel. I got a little panicky while driving the scooter, but I don't think I caused too much damage. We stopped at this really nice hotel/house type deal that was built out on the water. We met the sweet lady who ran the place, and knew that we were going to be staying at this place. The room we stayed in was on the corner of the house, which meant that two of the sides had views of the ocean. This place screamed peace to us. We went to a private beach and spent some hours there, just relaxing in the calm waters. It was a good day for sure.
The next day, Ashley and I went snorkeling in the Caribbean Sea. Seeing all of the tropical fish was relaxing in itself. I love snorkeling because my mind just kind of shuts off. I don't think about anything, which I think is part of my current stress problem. It was nice to just float around in the water, with my only care being that fact that something might eat me. The rest of the day was just resting. We all needed to rest. Before we came, we had reached our limit, and gone beyond it. It was nice to recharge.
It is amazing what three tired people can come up with at midnight. I thank God for our spontaneity.
Peace... Thank you Lord!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I had been with you! It looks amazing and I'm so glad you all got away for a little while. You needed it! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

what in the world is Jen going to do when you leave and she has no help with 16 kids?
keep up the good work.
NIC

Anonymous said...

Those look like postcards. I'm glad you were able to get some R&R. Take care. -Mrs. D.

Anonymous said...

those pictures are really beautiful! im glad you had a wondermous relaxing time there :)
~kristen