Monday, July 9, 2007

Our Run Aways

Sorry for the delay but things seem to never slow down around here. Really, we are afraid to sleep, watch a movie, let alone leave the property, for fear that something catastrophic will occur. Which leads me into this next post.
Last Monday, we all decided to go over and all say goodnight to the kids, not just the people on shift. Sam went over a little before Ashley, Jen, or I did, and came and told us that four of the boys were not in the house. That is correct, we had four run aways. My instinct at first was to check under their beds, thinking that they were just playing a little game on us. Not so much a game. Then I ran outside and started looking in the woods behind the property. With no flash light, and the sun setting around 6, if the kids had been out there, I would have never seen them. Jen decided drive the truck around Santa Ana, just in case they had been sneaky enough to get past the guard and barbed wire fence. Sam and I decided to join her. We stood in the bed of the truck, looking everywhere for the kids. Jen asked everyone we passed if they had seen four little boys. Though one can see many odd sites in Honduras, people seemed to remember exactly for boys headed towards the main road. We finally found them two miles away. They were trying to hitch a ride with us before they realized who was in the truck. Jen yelled at the boys to get in the truck, and I actually had to jump out and retrieve one of our run aways.
When all was said and done, the boys were tucked away safely in their warm beds, with a meal waiting for them in the morning. Though they didn't realize this, no matter where they were trying to go (which happened to be El Salvador), Casa was the place where they belonged.
Again on Friday, the boys bolted. I know, really? This time they were gone for a much longer time, and got about 10 miles away. I was asleep when Jen pulled into property with them in the back of the truck, but my parent instinct kicked in and I knew they were here. During both of the adventures, I was so confused why they didn't realize that Casa was their home. Casa was the place where they get three full meals a day. Casa is place where they get to sleep in a comfortable bed every night. Most of all, Casa is a place where they are loved by many people. I wish that they would just get it.
I sometimes think, however, that we are just like them. We think that if we just did things our way, and were on our own, we would be better off. God, though, knows what is best for us. He knows that with Him we are safe. He knows that with Him we can find comfort. He knows that with Him we will be taken care of. He is love. When we run away from Him, he must think the same things that I did on Monday and Friday. He wishes we would just get it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right. They don't get it and we don't get it. It seems so simple, yet why do they (and we) run away?

Praying for you.

-Mrs. D.