Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Family

I love the Church. I'm just going to throw it out there because so many things that I have been reading recently by people that I know and people that are famous for their writings seem to put a very negative spin on the church. I know that the church ( and I mean this as the whole body of believers, not just the ones who agree with me and what I believe) has its downfalls. But, I get tired of reading things like- " the church doesn't care anymore" " no one seems to be real in the church anymore" " the church is dead" and yada yada yada. I don't feel like these comments are edifying anyone. Maybe the purpose of these writings that I have been reading is re-invigorate the church and encourage the church to get back in the world. If I wanted to excite and encourage a body of believers, I don't think constantly insulting them and "guilting" them is the best way of accomplishing this goal. In fact, I think it could actually do the contrary.
I don't believe that true worship is done only in the right settings, at the right time, with the right people, and in the right pew. In fact, I think a worship service is only a small fraction of what worship really is. However, I do think that is worship.
Many times, I think these anti-church remarks sounds extremely self-righteous.
I think I get so frustrated with these kinds of remarks because they are hurtful remarks about my family. No, I don't mean my Mom and Dad, I mean my brothers and sisters in Christ. As some of you know, I am a very protective brother, and that means with all of my family. I don't like it when people say critical things about my family.
I do get irritated with church people, do not get my wrong. There are many times when I want to rip my hair out because some people just don't get that the whole world is in need of a Savior, the Savior, and if we aren't going to tell them about Him, who will. There are times when I cannot believe that people are fighting over the hour spent in a church building, when thousands upon millions of people go hungry every night. I don't understand why we expect the government to take care of the widowed and orphaned, when we, the hands and feet of Christ are called to do this. However, I do not believe that the way to correct this is by demeaning the Church at every opportunity. We are a family, the body of Christ, the bride of Christ, and we are to edify one another.
Romans 14:19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual.

I could have just rambled, and this probably made no sense what so ever, but this has just been bugging me recently, so I thought I should blog it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I have enjoyed your blogs during your time in Honduras. I hope you keep sharing your thoughts.
Kelly
Malta, Ohio

Ashley said...

Good blog brother....I find myself guilty of complaining about the church at times and appreciate your gentle reminder to act before I speak. Love you.

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
We need to be about our Father's business. I know that when I complain about the church, which of course is my brothers and sisters in Christ, not only is it not edifying to them, it brings me down, too!

Oh, and I have not seen you since you've been back and this is not a good thing. You should come see me at WCCS soon. But beware! You might get hugged. -Mrs. D.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly. It's weird how we have both been thinking about this. Perhaps you're a chip off the OLD block! I love you!