Sunday, June 24, 2007

What a Week!

I know I promised pictures from last week, but too many things have happened this week for me to post pictures right now. I need to apologize to my faithful readers (though they be few) for not writing more often. I promise to write more.
Ok, now to get to this week. As I wrote in my last blog, Santos, one of the guards passed away early Monday morning. Jen and Ashley went to be with the family at the hospital, which I know was an eye opening experience. I would not give this experience justice if I tried to write my second-hand account, so you should check out Jen's Blog or Ashley's Blog. Their blogs excel mine by leaps and bounds, so if you are looking for quality writing, go take a look at their sites.
Throughout the week, I spent more time in the city (Tegucigalpa) than I have since I have been here. Just running errands, and eating in the city, we had some good times. I enjoy being here at Casa, but sometimes it is nice to get a change of scenery and see more of the country.
On Thursday night, we were planning on going to meet up with a group at Santa Lucea for devo, but Noel had taken Gracie (our van) and we were getting kind of annoyed because we knew we would not be able to eat before we went to the devo. We were sitting in the apartment when Jen walks in, and says "Are you ready for this?" In her hand was the hand of a little boy, who goes by the name of Luby. That's right, Luby, the boy who we had to take back to the judge a couple of weeks ago. Apparently, he had crawled under the gate at Casitas Kennedy early that morning. Gina, one of our good Honduran friends here, said that she went to visit him that day, and when she came to his room and found him not their, the people said that Luby had been saying throughout the week that he was going to see his momma. When they asked who his momma was, he said she was a gringo. He had gone to Jimmy Hughes first, the children's home because he didn't know how to get to Casa, and then he wrote on a Wrigley's gum wrapper "santa ana" and begged every bus driver to drive him here. When he first walked in, I didn't know how I felt. I was shocked, of course, happy that we was so happy, unsure because of his past visit, worried because the state didn't (and doesn't) he was here. Regardless of all of these emotions, he was back home- back to a place where he was safe and was loved. Earlier in the week, Jen asked the kids if they would be ok with Luby returning, and all of the kids were fine with it except Yovani. He is having a tough time with the new boys in the house because he is not the top dog anymore, and the boys sometimes picks on his little brothers. After Luby arrived, Jen had Yovani come back and Luby apologized for his actions in the past. I know that God's hand has been in all of this. Had Noel showed up any earlier, we would have left before he arrived. Had a bus driver not had compassion on this poor runaway, he would have never gotten here. God is alive and active! His plans are in constant motion whether you decided to recognize them or not.
I will post tomorrow about Thursday evening- it was quite a night. Please pray for us here, things are never dull.

No comments: